I defended my PhD one year and two days ago. Like many ecologists these days, I did most of my analyses for my PhD research using the the R programming language. I also created all of the figures for my dissertation and my defense talk using R (mostly using ggplot. Recently, I needed to use some of those figures in a talk, but I needed to tweak them. Mostly I needed to make them a little simpler. Though I should have expected this to be the case, it was to my great relief, that I opened up my RStudio project, recompiled my results by sourcing a few scripts, and changed only a few lines of code to generate the new figures. I’m not ashamed to admit it - I was a bit giddy that this process worked as smoothly as it did. In full disclosure though, I did have to change a few paths, as I had to move the 15 GB of data off of my SDD drive a few months ago. Anyhow, the whole experience reminded me how doable it is for us to establish reproducible results using R. (I say doable, because it would be a bit of a stretch to call it easy, but still …) One other interesting observation I have from this process - those figures I had to simplify from my dissertation talk - they probably should have been simpler in that talk too!